Thursday, February 21, 2013

Wait, what am I doing?

This is my sewing machine. There are many like it, but this one is mine.



It's a Brother CS6000i, and it's my friend Andrea's fault that I own it at all. She convinced me to give quilting a try, and by quilting I mean sewing. And by sewing, I mean cutting fabric into little tiny pieces and sewing them back together in a manner that is appealing. Honestly, what the hell am I doing? Really, she tricked me. She just wanted someone else to sew with. Well, it worked. I'm hooked. 

She gave me a crash course in August/September last year and imparted all sorts of quilt wisdom. The quarter inch importance, what the different fabric cuts mean, how important seam pressing is and anything else we came across while making the pieces for blocks that would eventually look like this:



Have I mentioned I'm wicked proud of myself? I am. I am very, very proud of myself. I'm a huge color lover. I majored in design in college, and being able to physically play with color makes me so incredibly happy. Also, can I just say, I sewed that! I sewed that together! Holy crap! That's kind of a big deal for me, me who hasn't gotten close to being domestic with a 10 foot pole until this last year. 

While working on those blocks, I also received a gift of a Schnibbles kit from Andrea's aunt, Brenda. And, of course, in what I found out was true quilter's fashion, I started it immediately. 





 I finished it two weekends ago during the huge snowstorm that hit the North East (so glad we didn't lose power!) and now I'm working up the courage to sandwich and quilt it myself. I'm so nervous, but I keep looking at it and I know I'm going to finish it soon. 

So, this is my sew-y, quilt-y story to date. I have a quilt-y, sew-y story - which is pretty surprising in and of itself, to be honest. My name is Jess, I love color, and I'm really, really good at ripping seams. Like, professional. If there was an Olympic seam ripping team, I'd be the captain. Wheaties would sponsor me. Really, I'm that good.

Happy crafting!

7 comments:

  1. Have I told you I'm super proud of you too? Super Proud.
    We all have to have an undergrad degree in seam ripping before we can call ourselves quilters. It's an important skill to have. LOL!!
    BTW: Your Schnibble looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks :) My poor little seam ripper gets more use than my sewing machine sometimes haha.

      Love the Schnibble! It's about as close to instant satisfaction as a quilt gets, I think.

      Delete
  2. Wow that looks great! I love it when new people join the quilty ranks! I'm Brenda's friend and look forward to watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, I'm glad to be a quilty ensign! I found your blog, too...it's great to be able to see what other people are doing. So much inspiration!

      Delete
  3. Love it! YOu are well on your way to being a quilting Dive. You go girl!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your star block. Good use of color. I think all quilters are handy with the seam ripper. Enjoy your new found pastime.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Jess. Welcome to the blogging world. I just started blogging in June but have been quilting it seems like all my life. I have been doing crafts for so long I have a hard time sitting still. Blogging is fun and even though I have been doing so much I am amazed at how much a person can learn. The tips you learn from blogging makes something that looks hard seem simple. Have fun and am looking forward to seeing what you will be working on. Your quilt block looks great.

    ReplyDelete